This past weekend we celebrated my son's 12th birthday with a cookout on Saturday (although he won't be 12 until later this month). To follow in the theme of a cookout we did a search for cookout ideas and came across this page, and my mind started running with possibilities!
Here's what I came up with:
What you will need to make approximately 24 "hamburgers":
yellow cake mix
2 brownie mixes
yellow (or cheese colored) fondant
1 recipe buttercream (make half green and half red)
cookie cutter or glass
1. Bake the cupcakes.
2. Bake brownies and when cool cut with a round cookie cutter or glass the same size or slightly bigger than the cupcake. Set aside.
3. Measure the circumference of the brownie and cut squares that size. ie. my brownies were 2 1/2 inches wide, so I cut squares 2 1/2 by 2 1/2. Lay the squares on the brownies and gently push corners down so that it looks like the "cheese" is melting.
4. Peel off cupcake papers and cut cupcakes in half to make a top "bun" and bottom "bun." Set all the top pieces off to the side for now.
5. Put a small dot of icing in the center of the bottom piece (this will help hold the brownie in place). Layer the brownie on top of the bottom.
6. Pipe green lettuce around the brownie. I used a tip for roses or ruffles.
7. Pipe red icing on top of the green for the tomato. I use a large circle tip.
8. Place the top "bun" on the "burger" and top it off with a toothpick if desired to hold it all together!
The final result. These were a HUGE hit at the party. My hubby has even asked for them for his birthday!